Tools for coaching
Florence Lamy & Michel Moral (Dr Psy) – Picture: VietNam 2007 –
This guide book describes, analyzes and shows how to implement the practical tools of the coach. Individual coaching, team and organization.
Choose them well, organize them well. Some tools are appropriate for some coaches.
Coaching has exploded in France since the early 1980s. More than 150 books have been published.
The tools used account for about 10% of the result of a therapy, while the quality of the relationship and the clinician’s own qualities represent about 25%. The biggest component of change comes from the person accompanied by herself.
The psychoanalyst coach’s main tool for change is interpretation (create awareness)
The cognitivist coach’s main tool is explicitation (relearning adapted representations)
The humanist coach’s main tool is triggering emotions (developing the potential)
The systemic coach’s tool is the systemic reflection, the reframing and the metacommunication in the totality of the systems in which the coachee evolves (awareness)
attention: few test links below are in French. do you know a test in English, please share
1) Tools based on Category approach:
- DSM IV (10 psychiatric disorders): when difficult personality
- MTBI (4 alternatives and 16 types (in French) of people: attitude (intro-extra), collection of info (sensitive / intuitive), decision (thought / feeling), judgment / perceptionEysenck (EPI or EPQ R), 16 PF (personality factors), Big 5 (ss together)
- Transactional analysis (TA): Egogram, Life position…
- Enneagram: powerful psychodynamics. model of tolerance and understanding of one’s own complexity and difference. Enneagram Testing (short, + long version).
- PCM (Process Com. Management – Taïbi Kahler from AT): Mecommunication due to stress (non satisfaction of psychology needs)
- DSQ (Defense Style Questionnaire): self defense mechanism (psychotherapy)
2) Country culture approach: COF, COI, ExpAdviser
3) Tools on Dimension (diagram)
- DISC: dominance, inducement, submission, compliance. 2 axes: emotions expressed / contained, submission / domination (story of the guillotine). Web test.
- HBDI: Lateralization of the Left / Analytical and Right / Creative brain and the vertical structure (reptilian, limbic and cortical) of Paul McLean. It’s an intuitive and visual approach to creation. Web Test in French
- Personna: Carl Jung theory, interpersonal needs (near Maslow’s pyramid): Recognition, Belonging, Achievement (competence), Security. Web test in French
- Tracom: Assertiveness + Expressiveness + Adaptability
4) Management & leadership
The manager makes sure things are done, the leader creates and nurtures the context in which things are possible.
1940 (personality), 1950-60 (behavior and environment: Situational), 1980 (collective – Kaizen), 1990 (emotional I), 2006 (I. relational – social). For the coach it is necessary to determine the natural style of the coachee, the situation and the gap, to propose the adapted tool.
- 360 °
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ testing)
- Social intelligence
5) Analogic & Symbolic tools: cubes, photolangage, cards, …
6) Change Tools:
- Logical levels of Dilts
Environment –> Behavior –> competency –> Believes –> Identity –> Sens
- Compass of the future
- Systemic schemas
- Eisenhower Time Management (Urgent / Important)
7) Team Coaching Tools:
Mode of operation, SWOT, Blue-Red (dilemma of 2 prisoners)
8) Organizational coaching tools:
- World Café